Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Acropora spawning in Rincon, Puerto Rico






On August 31st, 2007, Dr. Nick Schizas Invertebrate Class laboratory went to the Marine Reserve Tres Palmas in Rincon, Puerto Rico to hopefully witness the Acropora palmata mass spawning event. We entered the water around 7:30 and started seeing bundles on some colonies around 8:30 to 9pm. The spawning event started roughly around 9:30pm. I honestly do not remember how long the event lasted because I was too focused on acquiring samples. I have posted some pictures of colonies partially full of bundles as well as videos of the colonies releasing bundles and bundles at the surface. The videos are me snorkelling while holding my camera on one hand and the flashlight on the other so it's kinda shaky. But it was very exciting to see the spawning again this year at Tres Palmas Marine Reserve!! Hope you enjoy the pictures and videos!







No comments: